Saturday, March 17, 2012

Seasoning for all Seasons

Seasoning for all Seasons

The kitchen was a different world, not because of the food or the sights and smells. But for the stories.

I was a young kid just in the 3rd or 4 th class, we had got posted to a little army unit, tucked away in the dense forest in the foot hills of the himalyas.

The unit was in the middle of no where but self sufficient and content rather happy. For a kid my age it was really fun. Almost all day i would be outside on my cycle discovering new paths and trails leading to the jawans lines. When i look back at those time now they feel almost surreal.

Making it even more wonderous were the tasty and 'masalai dar' stories told by our chef Siaram Bhaiya . Oh in what a magical way would he transport me back to the 18 th century by telling me stories of akbar birbal. I would come back home all tired and dirty and head no where else but for the kitchen and struggle my way up to sit on the slab over there. As soon as i would do so. Bahiya would start of in his typical rural rather matter of fact twang.

Sitaran bahia: "Raghoo bahiya wo kissa sunna aap nai?"
Me (raghav): " nahi bahiaya.. Wo akbar birbal wala? Bahiay please bataiyai. "

It would just take a little 'please' from me for him to take out an old story form his old rikitty box in a corner of his mind and present it to me in the sparkly and delicate tender way. The stories would absorb me.

The end of the story would be an expected twist but always followed by tasy parathas with milk or something else he would cook up along side the story.
This was more or less a daily affair.

One of the days was that of no stories but of tears.. The poor old sweet man's little 1 year old daugher had passed away the last year. It was her birthday on that day. He described how he would hav celebrated her birthday if she was around..
What was i to do. I had no idea how to console him.. I asked him.. "bahiyaaa wo kissa sona hai ?" in the best copy i colud do of his tone.. I was able to pull out a smile from beneath the tears.. " nahi raghoo bahiya. Wo akbar birbal wala..? " i told him a little kissa and then told him all about my day..

A few days later i realized he stopped calling me raghoo bahiya.. I became raghoo beta.

Love finds ways to express itself..
It needs to flow..
A sholulder that helps..is never left unblessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please leave a comment!!